Thursday, August 19, 2010

Garlic Lime Chicken Quesadillas

I was thinking about the last time I made quesadillas and how amazing they turned out! The problem is, I really try to stretch myself as a cook and don’t repeat recipes too often unless I get a craving or a special request from my husband! So, I decided to put a new twist on my quesadillas.

I came up with Garlic Lime Chicken Quesadillas because I love the combination of flavors and they were all things I had on hand tonight! I always see Garlic Lime entrees at restaurants and they are always yummy. So, I wanted to try to recreate those same flavors in a quesadilla because I think everything is better with cheese!

A lot of what I put into my quesadillas can be adjusted based on your tastes or what you happen to have in your pantry. I hope you like these quesadillas as much as we did!



Garlic Lime Chicken Quesadillas

spice mix:
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. minced onion
3/4 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cilantro
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper, optional
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 C. lime juice
1/4 C. orange juice
3 chicken breasts, cubed
1 medium bell pepper
1/2 medium onion
1 c. corn
1 sm. can mild green chiles
1 1/2 to 2 C. Mexican blend cheese (I like my quesadillas very gooey and cheesy so I used 2 cups)
6 flour tortillas

In a small bowl, mix lime juice, orange juice, and the spice mix. Reserve 1/4 cup of the marinade. Place the pieces of chicken in a large Ziplock bag or shallow dish. Add the remaining marinade and turn to coat well. Allow the chicken to marinate at least 30 minutes.

Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and cook until browned and cooked all the way through, about 4 minutes. Remove from skillet and place in a medium sized bowl. Add the onion, bell pepper, chiles, corn, and remaining marinade. Cook until the onions are tender and most of the liquid has been evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add to the chicken mixture. Add the cheese and mix well.

Using a paper towel, wipe the skillet (You will be using it to sear the outside of the quesadillas so it doesn’t have to be cleaned, just most of the moisture removed). Heat the skillet to medium-high heat.

Evenly distribute the mixture on one side of the 6 quesadillas (about 1/2 cup of filling), fold in half. Place quesadillas, one at a time, in the skillet to brown the quesadillas and melt the cheesem flipping once.

Cut each quesadilla into 3 triangles and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment