Saturday, January 1, 2011

Buckeyes

When I first saw these peanut butter beauties, I knew I had to make them for my husband. You see, on one of our first dates, he found a buckeye and told me that his grandpa used to carry a buckeye in his pocket for good luck. He gave it to me and told me to keep it. He said that he didn't need any more good luck because he already had me. Altogether now, "AWWW!" He's so sweet like that. I knew even then that he was a keeper.

These treats turned out perfectly and were a real hit over the holidays. To me, they taste a lot like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and are dangerously addictive. They were also really simple to make but were impressive enough to bring to a party.

I hope you give these a try and if you're ever lucky enough to find a real buckeye, pick it up and hang on to it. Mine's been pretty lucky for me so far. :D



Buckeyes

1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 cup graham cracker crumbs (from about 10-12 graham crackers)
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups confectioners’ (powdered) sugar
10 Tbs. butter, melted and cooled
12 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and peanut butter together until combined. Add the graham cracker crumbs and beat for 10 seconds. Add the sugar and butter, and mix on the lowest speed until combined, then increase the speed until the ingredients are well mixed (remember to scrape down the bowl to make sure everything is incorporated). The mixture will be crumbly and a little dry — this is perfect for shaping. Set it aside while you prepare the coating.

Melt the chocolate either over a double boiler, stirring until it is completely smooth or in a microwave in 30 then 10 second increments, stirring before you start it again until it is completely smooth. Let it cool to tepid while you shape the peanut butter centers.

Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Scoop out slightly more than one tablespoon’s worth of filling, break in half and use your hands to form it into two balls. Place the peanut butter centers on the prepared sheet and repeat the process until all of the candies have been shaped. They can sit close to each other but make sure they are not touching.

Using a fork or large skewer, dip each ball into the chocolate and roll it about so that almost the entire candy is coating, leaving a small circle uncoated. I found it easiest to stick the skewer in the side, angle the bowl I was using towards it and make sure it became submerged as I rolled the candy around.

Chill the buckeyes until they are set, about 30 minutes.

Recipe adapted slightly from Smitten Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment