Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cucumber Summer Salad

This recipe comes from my sister-in-law. She made this using the vegetables she and my brother grew in their garden. When I tasted how bright and fresh this summer salad was, I knew I had to try it! It comes together in just a few minutes, requires very little cooking, and goes great with summer barbeques.

Cucumber Summer Salad

1 medium to large cucumber, sliced
2 green onions, sliced
2 cups green beans, ends cut off
4 Tbs. fresh basil, chopped
1/2 to 3/4 cup Sweet Italian dressing
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook the green beans until just tender, but still slightly crisp. When cooked slightly, immediately run under cold water to stop cooking. Cut the green beans into one inch pieces. In a medium bowl, add cucumber slices, cooled green beans, green onion, and basil. Pour 1/2 cup of Italian dressing into the bowl and mix well. Add more dressing if you like it to have more liquid. Add some salt and pepper and mix well. Chill before serving to allow all of the flavors to marry. Toss just before serving.

1 comment:

  1. BRUCE AND MARY C. IN-LAWS LIVING IN OMAHA. MET AGAIN THE END OF MAY FOR THEIR RETIREMENT PARTY. MARY INFORMED OF THE SITE. I DO MOST OF THE COOKING TO THOUGHT I WOULD LOOK THRU. THANKS
    BARRY

    ReplyDelete