Thursday, May 21, 2009

Roasted Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomato Quiche

Before this year, I had never even tried quiche. My husband and I are not vegetarians and a lot of the quiche recipes I have seen did not look like they would be very substantial. I have been proven wrong! By adding a few simple ingredients, I now have a recipe that we both really love.

It’s a basic quiche recipe (from Everyday Food) that I tweaked to include some of my favorite flavors. The sun-dried tomatoes add a rich sweetness and roasted chicken makes it a more filling meal for my husband.


Roasted Chicken and Sun Dried Tomato Quiche

Ingredients:
1 Tb. Olive Oil
2 roasted chicken breasts (from a store-bought roaster or leftover chicken)
1 large yellow onion, diced
¾ tsp. Kosher salt
½ tsp. black pepper
1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
3-4 pieces of sun-dried tomato, chopped
4 eggs
¾ cup half and half
1 to 1½ cups Gruyere cheese, grated
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 pie crust (I use a premade, frozen crust when cooking on the fly!)

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onions, ½ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. of the pepper (you can also add other seasonings/spices here to change the flavor slightly. I have added Jamacain seasonings, red pepper flakes, etc.). Cook until the onions are softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the cooked chicken and parsley and cook for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and half and half. Stir in the cheese, nutmeg, remaining salt and pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, and onion-chicken mixture. Place the pie crust in a pie dish or tart pan. Scrape the mixture into the pie crust. Bake until filling is set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment